broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Parenthesis

Tonight, I took the night off. I have been busy the past few nights working on my thesis and in the gallery. After my internship today, I decided that I would just relax and do nothing. Nothing at my place usually equates to me puttering around on the internet or watching some bad television. A more apt description of nothing in my world would be doing both of the previously mentioned activities at the same time. In doing both simultaneously, they lose any shred of meaning they possibly could have stated out with. So, you can imagine my delight when Netflix was on point with sending me the just-released-to-DVD film, Up in the Air:

Since it came out, it seemed like a film I would enjoy. But alas, being broke and not flexible with time prohibited a theatre viewing in the past few months. So this past weekend, the Oscars came and went and the film moved forward sans award. However, its presence as a nominee reminded me that I really wanted to see it.

I just watched the movie and have to say I enjoyed it. What struck me though was a scene in which Ryan and Alex discuss the demise of their relationship (or was it even ever able to defined as such). Nevertheless, at one point Alex delivers quite a blow... She states to Ryan that he was her "parenthesis." Hmm. Fluff tends to be situated in those cute little braces. Extra stuff. I needed a bit more so I sauntered over to Wikipedia to find the true definition on parenthesis: contain material that could be omitted without destroying or altering the meaning of a sentence. Man. Pretty harsh. But at least memorably harsh.........

Check the movie out if you haven't.

2 comments:

Fashion Serial Killer said...

ooh i'm going to have to add this to my netflix as soon as i get my acct back up to date-my bank acct is -0 so they have my netflix on hold HA hope you had a nice bday!!!

jca said...

that part was heartbreaking..poor george