broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Thursday, June 25, 2009

SCOOPS


Scoops is an ice cream parlor in the so called "Bicycle District" in Los Angeles. For those unfamiliar with the little intersection heavy with bicycle repair shops, we are talking about the corner of Melrose and Heliotrope. Behind LA City College. Now that you know where it is, be sure to go there. Multiple times. You see, Scoops has an ever changing array of unique flavors that I have yet to see anywhere else. The "Brown Bread" came highly recommended. At first, I was apprehensive. Bread as ice cream? I was expecting rye and poppyseeds to be used as sprinkles. Thankfully, that was not the case. The Brown Bread is one of the best ice creams I have had. Sweet. Caramelly. Crunchy. French Toasty. Under further investigation, I learned that the recipe does indeed make use of caramel and also, surprisingly, grape nuts.

I also had tried the Guiness Chocolate. Like a traditional chocolate but add a little bit of bitterness. Kathy couldn't make out the Guiness, but I picked up on something that is not akin to the typical chocolate from the grocers. While the Guiness was just good, the Roasted Rice was AWESOME. There was an element of Lotte Rice Punch to each bite. And with the addition of chocolate sprinkles? HEAVEN. I heard a lot of hullabaloo over the Strawberry Mint, but nay. Only decadent desserts for this girl.

No comments: