broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Friday, July 17, 2009

Lions, machetes and bears.....

Oh my.
Not in that particular order, but yes, the three of those things were all seen here in San Miguel the other day. Well, more specifically, the animals were seen in route to Atotonilco. The institute where we are studying Spanish had arranged for us to take a mini-trip to Atotonilco to visit a beautiful church. They were even getting a big passenger van. I was thrilled to get a chance to head out. So, promptly despues Spanish, the 12 of us hopped in the van and drove the bumpy route out of San Miguel. In the midst of zoning out due to a serious lack of sleep, I saw a little truck with some chicken wire cooping type cover on the back. Expecting to see a horse or a donkey, I didnt pay much attention until the donkey looked much more furry and bear-like than a little burro should. I took a closer look and realized that my suspected donkey was indeed a bear. In a confused moment, I turned my head to glance at Mr. Oso driving away in the opposite direction only to see that there was also a lion in this truck with a chicken wire pen. I learned that the circus was in town. On the subsequent days that followed, I have many times seen these odd animal trucks driving around the city center with a megaphone on top announcing to the world in Spanish about the circus. One of the trucks today was driving around with a pair of llamas. Llamas. In the bed of the truck. But now onto machetes......

So backpaddling to the trip to Atotonilco, we are at the point where we are exiting the beautiful church. Our tour guide informs us of another church that is in town in more of a rural area. Of course, our group was delighted to go. Unfortunately, upon arrival, the church is closed. We all stand around and try to stick our cameras between the iron rod fence and now most likely, all have the same exact photograph. We headed over to a river and take a breather. I look over to a house and see a group of men with machetes walking towards us. Perhaps it was my American ignorance, but I slowly began walking further from our group and towards the van. The group of 5 men, each with a machete came closer and closer and I scooted farther and farther away. When they were within talking distance of the main group, the looked at us and said, "How do you like our country." There is really only one acceptable answer to that question when the person asking is also carrying a massive knife. "Bueno! I love it!" After the response, the guys continue walking away and I begin to come closer and closer to the group....in specifically, the tour guide. I asked him why they had machetes. Apparently, they cut firewood with them. Or something! All in all it was an odd day that was followed up by watching Clueless, with Spanish subtitles. How appropriate.

No comments: