broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Monday, July 20, 2009

No napping here....

So in the midst of another extremely hot Queretero afternoon, I somehow fell asleep. This has proven to be a difficult task this week as my hotel, cute as it may be, tends to be a bit hot with the absence of an A.C. Around noon, I came home from working at Caminando Juntos and took a brief snack and headed to supervision for the afternoon. By the time 3:30 rolled around, I was more than ready to retire to my room for some movie watching, internetting and phone calling. Reflecting back, I cant even remember what movie was on. Oh. Anger Management. On the Universal network. Seeing how the film was so captivating, I dozed off. It must have been for about an hour, because I woke up to the credits. And some loud ruckus. A ruckus in the fashion of a 4 man marching band. Yes. A marching band. Down the tiny neighborhood street of 16 de Septiembre. After a minute of trying to fall back into sleep, I realized that this was just not going to happen. I walk through the heat wave to my widely opened window to see 4 men: one trumpeting to opened windows along the path, one dancing while playing the oboe and two drummers; one with an over the shoulder bass drum and the other with a snare. All playing what would have been a pretty amazing little ditty had it not been the reason for my waking up. After talking to some other girls in the program, whom may I add were also wakened up by the band, I learned that they were playing in the hopes of people dropping money down to them. To sum up the general feeling, my friend Shyanne was talking about giving them money.....to request that they stop playing during siesta.

Here are some photos from the week. My hotel, the market, an amazing smoothie place, tigers in trucks and more.







No comments: