broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Because of Taxidermy......





........I will give New York a second chance. There seems to be many folks living in NYC who appreciate the art of stuffed animals who once lived.

But seriously.......
My relationship with New York is one that, well, could be deemed as non-existent. I have been to the city only once about four years ago. Amy and I took the Chinatown to Chinatown bus from Boston to NYC to spend the weekend. Unfortunately, our accommodations fell through while we were at a Denny's or something somewhere off of the Mass Pike. When we arrived in NYC, we were greeted with a cheerful cold that quickly became grumpier as the day wore on. Perhaps I am an idiot, but I could not figure out the subway (despite having previously navigated foreign subways in Dublin, Paris, Rome and London with ease) and the local folk were getting grouchy with us for holding the line! We ended up somewhere nowhere near Central Park...a place that we both wanted to check out. Instead, we paid top dollar for some sub-par psychic readings that put a severe damper on our day as we learned that Amy was cursed and I was to have twins. Colder, broker, and less fortunate then when we arrived, we trudged through the city and got back on the bus back to the colder yet more comfortable town of Boston.

WIth that trip, I vowed never to go back to the city and when I moved, I moved as far as humanly possible in the continental US from the Empire State. Now, four years post initial trip, I am ready give the city another go. T minus 13 days and I will be on a red eye for a weekend in NYC. Researching some things to do, I came across some cool taxidermy/vintage shops that I am really excited to go to. A Gray's Papaya hot dog will be had as well.

No comments: