broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Saturday, February 25, 2012

No Bad Luck...yet.......


Against the advice of traditions, I went to try on some wedding dresses today with David. It seemed only natural as I accompanied him to sample suits! And who better to help out in the fitting room! I had made an appointment at J Crew at The Grove about a month ago. The Grove location is one of what I learned today were just three J Crew stores that have dresses available to try on. Prior to the appointment, it was requested that I send in a list of preferred dresses from their website. The list was sent in and much to my initial dismay, my favorite, the Tiered Analisa gown was not one that was at the store. In the long run in was just as well as the dress was close to 3,000!

When we arrived, the sales person was ready and waiting. San Pelligrino was offered (and accepted!), a book of dresses was waiting in the generous sized fitting room and one of the dresses I requested to see was ready to be tried on. LIke I said, I was initially bummed out because not all the dresses were on site. The sales woman brought in a couple suggestions and at first glance I was not too psyched but still willing to give them a shot. She must have been onto something because the Clarice Gown, when on, fit pretty incredible. So much so that I had that "omg I have got to get this dress" feeling. In my mind pictures of BHLDN dresses and unavailable J Crew.com dress were flashing about. However, even with the visual flashbacks, there was something still so standout about the Clarice. It felt good. It was an elegant off-white. A little shiny but not too much so and very figure flattering. It trumped the v-neck gowns that I had tried on just moments before. One thing I learned very quickly today was that the same dresses that look so incredible on the sites are all donned by 5'11 models who have very little on top. When the more average sized girl wears a similar dress, she runs the risk of looking like a stripper with the amount of cleavage that shows. Not exactly the wedding day look I had envisioned!

Of course, after my delight was shown towards Clarice, the saleswoman returned to tell me that only size 10s were left in stock. We had a long chat about the possibility of having the dress tailored 2 sizes down. It must have been a pretty lengthy conversation because midway through our chat we received the good news that there was one size 8 in Baltimore that would be put on immediate hold. Seeing how I learned I was between sizes, an 8 would be perfect for the tailor to work with! So, to make a long story short, I ordered the Clarice Gown. It will show up to my doorstep next week! And at $750, I couldn't feel better about the decision!



a picture of me and David with Clarice! ;)

No comments: