broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, February 26, 2012

La Jolla Canyon Race Report

Today I completed my second trail race with Coastal Trail Runs. I first ran a 10k race of theirs back in November at Malibu Canyon. This time, I went for the 11 mile run through La Jolla Canyon which is technically still in Malibu but it might as well be in Oxnard! The drive from Eagle Rock took over an hour...and that is Sunday morning 6:30 AM with zero traffic! ;)

When I arrived, there were several folks getting ready to run the 30k, marathon and 50k. The longer runs all followed a similar course and began promptly at 8:00. The 11 mile race was to start next at 8:10 with the 5 mile race having the last start time of 8:20. The races began right on the money...well I'm assuming the 5 miler started promptly as well! My race started off with an immediate uphill on a single track. I think i ran for about a mile or so and then began alternating run/walk for the remainder of the steep uphill. Around mile 3 or so I hit the top of my first incline and was delighted to see fog breezing by! From this point, there was a glorious downhill on fireroad until the first aid station at mile 5.2. Like before, the station was totally well equipped for being in the middle of a canyon.....cliff shots, GU gels, pretzels, water. While drinking my quick dixie cup of sports drink, the staff at the tent offered to fill my handheld bottle up in an effort to expedite my stop! In race world, this is the best customer service a runner could expect! I continued down the road for a little less than a mile and was overwhelmed at my first turn.....a mega incline! Ugh. I started off running, but honestly, had to walk for a considerable amount of time due to the steepness! I eventually began to run/walk alternate as soon as the worst of it had passed. By this time, marathoners were running our way so there was a need to be mindful on the narrow parts of the trail. I did see one marathoner coming my way with a bloody knee.....probably one of the falls I heard about at the aid station...but it didn't seem to be slowing him down! The last 2.6 miles were downhill, but single track so I was unable to get the speed like I did on the fireroad.

I crossed the finish line at 2:25 which I was satisfied with. That gave me a 13:08 mile pace which while considerably slower than my PR, I had to take into consideration that this race was considerably harder than any road race! At the finish line, Coastal had any and everything we could want! Cokes, water, electrolyte drink, chips, fruit, pb and J, cinnamon rolls and candy! I look forward to running an event with them again! Until then, I am doing the Hollywood Half in April! ;)

No comments: