broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Party.

So, last night when I came home, I was overwhelmed by the amazing spectacle otherwise known as Of Montreal. I blogged about it. Right below. You can read about if you so desire. What I DID NOT blog about was the nutty party that I went to after the fact. Not that I didn't want to....on the contrary: I needed a bit more time to process the night so that I could do this party justice on Modern Day Bullfight. So, let me begin....

Act 1: (Strolling up Argyle, foggy, noisy, excited patrons chatting about the show)

Allison: OMG OMG! That was SOOOOO amazing.
(bumping into strangers on the street)
Nicki: It was pretty good, dude.
Monica: I would have paid 35 dollars for that!
Allison: Oh Shit! I missed a call from Kathy! (dials her number and is informed of a party with free food and lots of beer)

So, yes, you get it. We were stoked. Unfortunately, since the show ended so late (12:45 AM), Monica decided to head home which meant just Nicki and I went to brave the streets of Eagle Rock. We bid our farewells and the two of us jumped into the car and headed out.

Act 2: (arrival. dark, winding streets with no light. even less parking)
Allison: Ummm, are we supposed to go up there? (points to pitch black steep incline)
Nicki: Whoa. (lights cigarette)

So the two of us head up the hill and then hear the noise that is the party. We saunter down a little path and immediately see Kathy. And lots of people. In festive attire. Big fur jackets, sultan clothing, Russian hats, 6 inch boots etc. Kathy proceeds to tell us that the party is part Burning Man, part regular folk and part Cult. Apt description although I must say that there was definitely a Ren Fair twist to it too. We are greeted by many colorful people, showered with drinks and led into the house in which there was a feast set up. Oh, and like 5,000 little Italian pastries in a box in the kitchen. Yes, totally delicious. I guess I can just rattle off other things that were there: a hot tub full of nude adults with a "clothing optional" sign, a professional photo set up with a remote control in which you could take "photobooth" pictures of your self (TOTALLY KILLER...although there are now some odd pix of me floating around on flicker), shamanistic drum circles, a goth dance party inside, more beer and liquor than humanly possible, more food and the ULTIMATE highlight: turkey legs. Yes. Ren fair style turkey legs appeared magically around 2:30 AM in a big renolyds foil pan...you know, the kind that you cook a holiday feast in. So the presentation of this meat led to throngs of people walking around in the fog and cold at 3:00 AM with a leg of meat. It was pretty fantastic. more than made up for a weird couple of days.

nb: get on the emailing list for more of these parties

*fin*

3 comments:

Judy Gloom said...

we totally lost each other once we got inside. but let me know if you attend anymore of these ren faire parties in the future. i am so in!

Danielle said...

woah, that sounds like a movie.

allison orphan said...

Megan, see you tomorrow and Stanners, see you when I get back!