broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The MTV of Yore....

During dinner, a conversation took place regarding the spitting that takes place when certain people pronounce certain letters a certain way. This brought a silly melody into my head complimented with even sillier lyrics: "Say it. Don't spray it. I want the news, not the weather." All I could remember was that it somehow had a connection to the years in which I stopped watching MTV on a regular basis. After a quick google search, I found the song in question along with a video clip:

The song, written by a band called 2gether, was part of a made for MTV movie and subsequent television series that followed the trials and tribulations of a boy band and their quest for fame. I vaguely remember catching clips of this show as backdrops to parties at friends houses. This got me thinking to the days in which I really watched MTV. Real World Venice Beach, San Francisco and London. After London I stopped consistently watching the show. Not because I didn't like it, but the fact that I got a car most likely had a minor influence. I have to say though, the London show was really great. Yes, I was younger and more impressionable at the time, but I feel that the show had more substance than it does these days. The cast of London all had pretty interesting jobs like playwrights, racecar drivers, models, etc. I feel that now, the show will shy away from a more well rounded cast in the hopes of finding the newest "Situation". Oh well. Big shock. I will leave you, reader, with a clip from my favorite season. And no big shock that at 15 I thought Neil was hot shit.......

No comments: