broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Coconut Water and Runners

I have been a hater when it comes to all things coconut since a very young age. My earliest memory dates back to Halloween when I bit into an Almond Joy or Mounds thinking it would taste more like a Milky Way or Snickers. Nay. The taste and texture of the coconut warranted a spit back into the wrapper. Since then, I have given it a chance....in baked goods, raw, smoothies etc but the verdict has always been the same with the exception of curries. Perhaps the flavor for me meshes more with savory items. Who knows? Either way, when it was suggested by both Amy and David that I drink coconut water after runs I immediately scoffed at the idea. Both did have a point though....coco water is fresh, full of electrolytes and considerably more natural of an item than the neon, fructose laden sports drinks that are so common these days. After picking some waters up at David's request, I decided to give one of the flavored ones a shot. I ran through DTLA today...short run....only 4.5 miles but it was warmer than usual. It was my first run post the Hollywood Half last weekend. I felt awesome, but towards the end, the heat was hitting me. I was very thirsty. When I came home, I saw the little Mango Coco water staring me down from the fridge. What the hell. I have it a shot. Surprisingly, I didn't want to spit it out. In fact, I wanted to keep drinking! The coco flavor is definitely hidden by the mango puree added to the juice. Definitely looking forward to trying some of the other fruit flavors in the future!

1 comment:

Fashion Serial Killer said...

the ZICO chocolate coconut water is soooo yummy as well. They say coco water is better than gatoraide when it comes to dehydration or something like that.