broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The intamacy of handwriting....


The other day I was chatting about how rare it is to see a persons handwriting these days....and when we finally do, how shocking it can be. I think that shock stems from the fact that we are now conditioned to see typed perfection avec or sans serif. We receive notes, emails, texts and tweets from our friends and lovers in typed form. On average, when out at a bar you have a better chance of borrowing a 300 dollar iPhone from a friend rather than a 50 cent pen. With all of that, handwriting has gained a sort of 'intimate status" in my mind. Thinking back to some guys I have dated, I can describe in detail their underwear but when it comes to their handwriting, it was never seen. I may be able to recall a hastily scrawled credit card receipt or two, but that does not count as handwriting in my book. When I received a mix cd a couple of months ago, I remember being captivated by seeing my name, handwritten in Sharpie, on the silver disc. I also remember really wanting to see more.

No comments: