broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Thursday, August 13, 2009

My life through meals and various beverages.....

A: Over the past couple days, I feel as if I have been on a culinary voyage that consists mostly of coffee. Since the opening of the Intelligentsia in Venice, my visits went from occasional to habitual pretty quickly. So much so in fact that when I was on the Eastside today, I went out of my way, bypassing both Chango AND Starbucks to my beloved Intelligentsia on Sunset. In all honesty, I have to say though that I prefer the Venice location. At first the personal barista concept was a bit much for me to handle. However, after the 3rd visit or so, I was sold. And the design and layout? Stellar. Take a peek:

B: Over the weekend, Kogi was visited. I decided that a Korean/Mexican Fusion would be the best thing to ease me back into eating Mexican food. After the month spent in Mexico, tacos, tortas and chilaquilles have been banished from my diet....by choice mind you. Because yes...you can really have TOO MUCH of a good thing. So 2 weeks home and I decided I was ready. I broke my vow with 2 spicy chicken tacos:

C: On the same day of the Kogi visit...and the morning walk to Intelligentsia, Nathaniel and I went on a visit to Mozza. Prior to taking off from Phoenix, Nathaniel was presented with a 150 dollar gift card for the LA hot spot. I happened to be the lucky co pilot for this journey. We sat down for an early dinner with our good friend gluttony and drank a bottle of wine, ate mussles, salads, breadsticks, pizzas and desserts. Oh. And lets not forget the coffee. I was the recipient of a spicy salami and red pepper pie which was more than delightful:

D: So after not eating for 24 hours post Mozza, I started to get hungry. Finally. Nothing notable was had until this morning. After watching episode after episode of MAN V. FOOD, I had a real hankering to go to Phillipe's: Home of the Original French Dip in downtown L.A. (or for you Twitter users, dtla) Today,after skipping breakfast, David and I went to try the place out. I ordered a single dip beef with a side of slaw. After taking our trays to a nearby table, I decided to put the slaw on the sandwich wih a tiny bit of their special HOT mustard. Delicious. I am already thinking about when I can go back......


Figure A: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/

Figure B: http://www.kogibbq.com/

Figure C: http://www.mozza-la.com/

Figure D: http://www.philippes.com/

2 comments:

Fashion Serial Killer said...

oh man! yummmmy.. I miss Kogi. I really need to come visit.

Judy Gloom said...

even though i feel a little bit raped every time i pay $4 for a cup of iced coffee at intelligentsia, i forget all about it the moment my lips hit the straw. it's my favorite, and yeah, i was totally asking for it. i'll have to check out the venice location next time i'm on that side of town.