broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, June 10, 2012

DIY Wedding Cake Stands

Ugh. Cake stands. Well, that was my initial thought...especially after pricing them on sites like Amazon. Sure 25 bucks a pop isn't too much, but when you need 5 and then factor in shipping it ends up being another $150 purchase added to an ever growing wedding budget. Plus, 25 bucks gets you a stand, but not the one that meshes best with the wedding theme. After doing some internet research, I came across a few sites that mentioned making stands yourself using found objects at the thrift strore. Bam! This seemed like the way to go. Many of the sites added the additional step of spray painting the completed project when finished to a color that matches your decor. While I went into the project with that step in mind, I quickly changed my mind after finding the amount of clear glassware (platters, candlesticks, glasses etc) in my search. The clear would be a perfect fit with the amount of color already in the works. 

Materials: 
Glassware
Epoxy
Heavy books
Goo Gone

Some of the dish finds from the 1st trip to St. Vincent De Paul. I washed them and found that I needed to use Goo Gone in order to get some of the yuck off from years of who knows what before their presence at the thrift store. 

Using a heavy book to help the epoxy set and cure.

Close up of two of my favorites

The final five which will be donned with cakes and sweets!

The project was pretty easy and just took a little over 2 hours....including cleaning and prepping the glass, applying the epoxy and letting it stand through the initial cure time of one hour.


No comments: