broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, March 3, 2013

DIY Nursery Projects

With the initial hullabaloo of moving subsided, I have been able to focus on getting some baby projects started. For awhile, the designated baby room has been the moving catch-all with boxes and miscellaneous crap all over the floor. Just this past weekend, most of what shouldn't be in there is finally out. The sorting and decorating is moving forward. We have been fortunate in receiving some key pieces of baby gear from David's sister including a Bugaboo Stroller, a Pack N Play, an Ergo as well as a box of clothes and toys! Amazing! Thanks Jennifer (and lil' Aya!)

Wanting to keep budget conscious, we did our research and made the following decisions: a crib from JCP.com using some gift cards accumulated from the holiday time, a desk to be dazzled up from Craigslist.com (40 bucks!), Echino Fabrics off of Etsy to create the baby quilt and matching laminate to upholster the desk chair, wooden chair from the PCC swap meet and the one full price item, a Jenny Lind changing table off of Amazon. The two big pieces left are going to be a futon...to both sit with lil' girl and accomodate family when they come and a rug of sorts for the floor.

The only project that got started this weekend was redoing the knobs for the desk. I really wish that I had taken a before, but I got so into the hands on that snapping pics just wasn't on my mind. I was fortunate enough to have some baby blue spray paint from one of my work projects and lo and behold....it matched the wall color perfectly!


Up next on my list is to re-cover the chair. In all honesty, this chair does not need to be recovered but I have a vision of matching prints and seeing as how I now have the laminate in hand, it is a go. I am going to leave the original on and just use the staple gun to adhere around the existing vinyl. We shall see how it goes. 

Adorable chair from the Pasadena City College Flea Market

This laminate will be the new seat cover!

I will keep you posted on how the project unfolds. Oh! And my other budget find of the weekend was a nice board book copy of Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see? for 2 bucks at a little antique shop yesterday. Score!


No comments: