broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

On Getting Bigger. And Slower.

Just in the past couple weeks I feel that I am crossing the threshold into the physicality of being pregnant. Specifically, the discomfort, awkwardness and clumsiness that coincides with a growing belly. About a month ago I had passed the point of 'just having put on a few extra pounds'. This became clear when at work I began to get the whisper-level questions about being pregnant. First from the ladies, then the gentleman. And now, at 25 weeks, there is no debating "chubby or pregnant".

It is very weird not being able to fit into my favorite running pants. I know in my mind that getting bigger is a very normal aspect of a pregnancy, but for some reason it is harder than I had anticipated. Perhaps impacting my mental morale is also the fact that the LA Marathon is this weekend. I have a paid entry but will not be running. Giving up training in October did not seem like a big deal at the time but as the weekend nears, there is a bit of a loss that comes with it. When attempting to go on a big walk the other day, I was tired and crampy at just over a mile. It is hard to believe that 6 months ago I was running 10 miles easy at 7:30 AM on a Saturday morning! ;)

I have been researching those who have gone back into distance running after giving birth and it seems as if I will have to start slow. And frequent bathroom breaks will be something that I will need to get used to! I have already been looking into jogging strollers and am looking forward to have my lil' companion with me when I hit the streets of Pasadena.......but not until I am ready.........

No comments: