broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, April 10, 2011

On Running....

So I have been yearning for the olden days in which I could run a mile in less than 7 minutes. Scratch that...under 10 and I'd be happy! With speed not being my strong point, I have been gradually been getting back into the sport. A couple weeks ago I decided that I would run the Santa Monica Classic at the end of May. Since then, I have been heading out about 4 times a week to get my bad self in gear to run the 6.2 miles around Santa Monica. It has been both easier and harder than I imagined. Having been working out often at my Y, the endurance kind of just came out of nowhere. If the hills are minimal, I got the wind to keep going. It is my body that wishes otherwise. Leg pains, knee aches and the like. Damn.

Today I decided to head over to A Runner's Circle to get a more proper pair of shoes following a gait assessment. The clerks determined that I had a natural gait and with the distance I was running this was one of their recommendations and what I ultimately decided to purchase:

The Asics Gel Cumulus 12. Exact color. While aesthetics are not the striking feature here, the interior memory foam kills it! I took them out for a 5 mile test run today and they proved to be worth every one of the $99.00 I shelled out. I think I may have selected a winner.....

Today's Distance: 5.2 Miles (Ran first 3 miles and then combo walked/ran remainder. Attempted to do final leg with purchased Gatorade bottle....large size....not recommended.)

Some tunes that got me through: Everlong by Foo Fighters, Ice Cube's It was a Good Day, Regulators by Warren G and Nate Dog, Dance Yourself Clean by LCD Soundsystem, Dancin' in the Dark by Springsteen.....among others.

1 comment:

Judy Gloom said...

love runners circle! finding the right running shoes made such a difference for me.