broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Passion Flower

At some point last year, probably May or June, my friend Rick brought me over a small passion vine. Having just recently started a garden, the vine was quickly welcomed into the yard and found a home in the patch. While the vine grew considerably over the course of 13 or 14 months, I never saw any evidence of blooms until now. The funny thing is, prior to our move a few weeks ago, I dug the vine up and transplanted him into a large garden box with trellis. After a couple of days, I noticed that the vine began wilting and leaves were turning brown. Perhaps the transplant had caused stress. I moved him out of the sun for a bit and gave him some water. After finding what seemed to be a sturdy place for him to grow here at the new place, he began to bounce back. He still resides in the giant box, but now has the additional support of the deck rails to branch out on. Just yesterday when walking by, I noticed a closed bud. I was equal parts bummed and elated as I am planning on leaving town tomorrow and thought I would miss the opening. I was wrong. I fed him some coffee grounds and gave him a big drink before taking off to run errands. When I came back, I glanced at the vine and saw this:



Quite possibly the most impressive flower I have ever seen. Any feedback on how to increase the blooms on these incredible vines?

No comments: