broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Most Excellent Bookstore

This evening brought me to the Family bookstore in Los Angeles for the Sublife graphic novel release/signing. The author, John Pham is a nice guy. If graphic novels are your niche, check it out:

So, this was the first time that I had ever been to Family, and I was super impressed. The first book I happened to set my hands on (literally, leaning on the table, my hand brushed on it mid-conversation) was Sophie Calle's "Appointment" book in which she does a series of photos and vignettes inspired by her trip to Siggy Freud's house. One of my favorite art books ever. With that, I had to do some serious investigating of stock.

Browsing around was easier said than done. The tiny shop, while cozy and perfect for an afternoon or evening book stroll, was super crowded with artist/musician/graphic novel enthusiasts occupying the narrow rows. Despite the crowd, I was able to gather they had an art section/photo/literature/graphic novels/magazines/dvds/some vinyl/zines/printed art (including some Miranda July text screenprints) and even a rack of traditional comics by the door. It was visual pleasure in there. An artist's delight. I left mid signing and headed over to Canter's to get a delicious pastry and to begin reading, "Exit Wounds", one of my purchases for the evening.

I think Family will be seeing me sooner rather than later as Michel Gondry is going to be there THIS Wednesday signing and discussing his new comic AND his new book. AWESOME! Check it out: www.familylosangeles.com/

1 comment:

Judy Gloom said...

i love family. i got totally weirded out the first time i went in there because the place is so fucking carefully curated. it was like, "wow. they made this bookstore just for me. neat! how did they manage to fill an entire store with materials by writers and artists i like? and, in the case of the writers and artists i hadn't yet heard of, these bookstore buyers were doing a pretty good job guessing what i'd be into." suddenly, i felt like a demographic: hip educated urbanite. we are members of the same club, so let's go shopping!