broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Organic Pop Tarts?


Let me preface this by stating that if you are a fan of the said toaster pastry mentioned above, then this may not be the blog for you. Also, let me clarify. The 'organic pop tarts' are not pop tarts. They are 'toaster pastries'. For me to call them pop tarts is blasphemous. They can not even play in the amateur leagues under the majors of sweetened and fortified breakfast foods.

FIrst and foremost, pop tarts have history. Just look to the above image. The pop tarts of yore are sans frosting. Let me nominate the genius who suggested the addition of extra sugar for a macarthur grant. The pop tart of today is sheer perfection. The frosted cherry? Heaven. To those who critique my eating selections? A pop tart and coffee: less than 250 calories. Pales in comparison to a grande latte with a blueberry muffin. However, my selection of a pop tart and coffee cant compare to the healthier choice of orange juice and oatmeal so we will go back to the point of this entry: the organi-sizing of a toaster pastry.

So, while perusing the aisles at Whole Foods, I take a turn down the cookie/granola lane. I see these familiar rectangular shaped boxes and am happy to see that the purveyor of healthy eating decided to welcome such a traditionally unhealthy food. I look at the flavors and settle for a "cherry/pomegranate" blend of fruit filling......frosting and sprinkles included. 3.49. Not bad. Just about .50 more than regular pop tarts. When I arrived home, I decided to open these bad boys up. Horrific discovery number 1: only three pouches. Normally pop tarts come in packs of 8. The healthy ones? 6. So I open up the silver pouch and am amazed at the frosting ratio deception. Not much on my tart. On the box he was much more covered in deliciousness. So the moment arrives and I bit into the tart. Can I just say that whole grains DO NOT belong in a pop tart. Dry, little filling and even less frosting.

While a majority of things are wonderful when organic (burgers, veggies, fruits) the lesson learned is that fortified sugar breakfast foods are not. Here on out, my breakfast pastry allegiance is with Kellogg's...........