broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Science of not getting enough sleep.....

So, I have been on the go for the past 48 hours. I can account for my whereabouts and going-ons for the last two days down to the minutes. With the exception of the 12 hours combined sleep, the 48 hours were spent doing a variety of things like working, classes, going to a collage workshop, homework, computer labs, printing, more homework, more printing, reading, orientation night for my summer program and a 45 minute phone call to my beloved Nathaniel. So when the final class of the day ended today, I was so looking forward to some couching and sleep time. Imagine my surprise when my dear friend Nick called and expressed interest in going to the Michel Gondry meet and greet. Nick, another recent Phoenician transplant, lives in Long Beach so while we had talked about the possibility of going to see the man of film and video fame, I was kind of thinking that it may not happen.

We left Venice around 6:30 and made our way up to Family Bookstore. (2 plugs in one week, Family!!) When we arrived we were greeted with a long line down spewing out the door on down Fairfax. Some treats were picked up at Canter's and we staked our place. Stood. Took a few steps forward. Listened to a man play drums. Chatted. Etc. Around 8:36 or so, we were finally at the front and I had to ask:

me: "So, are you TOTALLY tired of people taking pictures with you?"
michel: (in beautiful accent) "no, but my eyes are a little bit.......(trailed off)
me: ok, we will be quick.

so, i get ready to take a picture of Nick and MIchel and 1, 2, 3...."CHEESE"

BATTERY DEAD

I look at both of them still, still smiling in anticipation of the flash, and report the news and laughed.

I didn't see a bigger smile from Mr. Gondry all evening!

Lucky for us, we had a back up camera and were able to take some do-overs. He signed our comics. Made small talk. All in all, the science of not sleeping equates to a fun filled meet and greet evening with Michel Gondry.

nb: look at camera when picture is being taken.

No comments: