broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Lens Test: Canon L Series 24mm 1.4

I am SO EXCITED.
Excited enough to warrant using all caps in the first sentence!

But in all seriousness, I am. Getting an L Series lens is something I have been wanting to do for quite some time but considering that the lens itself is triple the cost of my camera, I have not looked too seriously into doing this until recently. With the new baby on the way I really wanted to up both the quality and frequency of shooting images. Being at Samy's last week processing film rolls that had been stashed aside from years made me a bit sad that with work, school and life over the past couple years, photography has take a bit of a backseat in my daily routine.

The past week I had been looking at and bidding on lenses via ebay to no avail. The clerk at Samy's had an observant point that once the bidding gets to a certain price point you really have to look at the pros and cons of purchasing used vs. new and seen vs. unseen.  Unfortunately, the ebay lenses were all surpassing that price point of getting a good bargain.......

Enter two things: The Samy's Camera Father's Day tax free sale AND the delivery of an unanticipated check in the mail. Those two variables meant that I could indeed pick up the lens new.......which I did.
Was is the wisest decision? Ummm, probably not.....I *should* have stashed the check in savings. However, knowing that I will be home most of the summer with the babe, I KNOW that this lens will get put to great use. Filming, shooting the birth announcements and just documenting her first few months here with us are going to be routine with this new gadget.

First shot? Frito of course.......



Dreamy colors, ability to shoot in low light.....I am in love.............

No comments: