broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Friday, June 21, 2013

Pregnancy Reading: Update

So as mentioned a couple weeks back, I had picked up 5 books at the Pasadena Library to keep me occupied (and from overdosing on too much television) during the home stretch of this pregnancy. With a delivery literally any day now, I am on currently on book three (Concrete Island by JG Ballard) but reading at a significantly slower pace due to preoccupation with the upcoming L&D.

I finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (only visit this link if you want a mega-spoiler!) a couple days ago.

It took me a bit to get into the story but once I did I was hooked. What initially drew me to this novel was reading about the premise...and at the time, I did not know it contained spoilers. However, had it not, I most likely would not have selected this book. The creepy factor of the novel piqued my interest but looking back, I think not knowing the reasons behind the characters stay at Halishaim would have made the unfolding of the story more surprising and therefore even more enjoyable.

In a nutshell and without spoiling the premise, the novel follows a trio of students at a boarding school in England. It is obvious that there is something more to their stay and as the story progresses, the reader begins to piece the clues together. It is a novel that is wonderfully written...so much in fact that it left me dazed in a funk of sadness after finishing......not in a bad way mind you, but in a way that reflected just how wrapped up I was with Kath and her story.......highly recommended.

Prior to Never Let Me Go, I finished Out. Out was a longer novel yet quicker to read through due to the  fast paced who-dun-it style of writing. The recipient of a Japanese Writers mystery award follows 4 women working in a bento box factory who get involved in covering up the murder of an abusive husband. The cover up eventually leads to the 4 women blackmailing each other. Enter suspicious debt collectors, strip club owners and detectives and you get a pretty intense, creepy and wild book to keep you hooked. The novel beautifully weaves the characters together a la Murakami without elements such as talking cats. And don't get me wrong...Sputnik Sweetheart is one of the 5 books I mentioned earlier.........there is nothing wrong with some Murakami magic!

I will post some more as I finish up my next selections.

No comments: