broadcasting from the san gabriel valley

Monday, June 17, 2013

T +4 Days: A Visit to the Los Angeles Arboretum

It is weird....this waiting for the baby to arrive. I have been having moments where I was certain that "tomorrow this is going to happen" right to the flipside and thinking, "this baby is going to be induced".  With such a wide range of thoughts and feelings, my desire to partake in certain activities is also ever changing. Yesterday, I was dead set on staying home and even a routine trip to the grocery store proved to be exhausting. Today however, I felt a bit more recharged (lord know how only after 5 hours of sleep) and was ready to get off the couch and explore. 

The burst of energy sent me to the Los Angeles Arboretum. I had been wanting to check this place out for some time so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to go. And on a Monday no less? Arriving in the parking lot to find spaces within 50 feet of the entrance was both celebrated and unsettling. The celebration is obvious: who doesn't want a close spot while pregnant? The unsettling feelings....well they are a bit more difficult to explain. Entering a life where I now have weekdays to do errands/tasks/activities that were solely reserved for weekends is scary. The abundance of parking was a huge flashing sign that read, "YOU AREN"T WORKING ANYMORE". To be quite honest, I haven't yet fully embraced that notion. Probably because I have been so tied up in my career the past few years to the point where it was a huge portion of my identity. If I wasn't at work, I was talking about work, thinking about work or just plain exhausted from being there........ 

However, that could be a blog of its own. Let us get back to the Arboretum.  For 8 dollars one is granted entry for the day. The sprawling grounds showcase a variety of gardens and there are probably hundreds of micro climates! Greenhouses, rose gardens, shaded ponds, bamboo forests and cacti were some that I came across on my walk. There are dirt paths as well as paved roads that lead you through the facility. It seemed very self guided although I am sure that there is some sort of docent lead tour during the week. Seems like the kind of place. 

One of the highlights for me was to visit the Queen Anne Cottage:


You may recognize the beautiful building from television fame as the home on Fantasy Island.


The cottage is in impeccable condition and careful attention to detail is obvious. The colors are gorgeous and paint is pristine! They must touch this beauty up on a monthly basis! While you can walk around the porch and peek into windows, the doors were closed when I was there.






As I continued through the park, I came across several trees and bamboo shoots that had evidence of lovers' visits. I don't think I could ever justify marking up a tree myself, but I'd be lying if I said the preserved moments didn't bring me a bit of joy this morning.



The final highlight was to visit the greenhouses. Each greenhouse has its own theme. Orchids, airplants and I wasn't too sure what the third one was. All I know is that each trip inside brought me back to the humid jungle-y climate of our Costa Rican honeymoon last August.




All in all, it was a good morning spent walking, getting fresh air and more importantly, getting my mind off this past due date of mine.......

2 comments:

Allison Manch said...

Great pics! Do you ever go to the Huntington? I love it there.

allison orphan said...

thanks allie! no. i havent been to the huntington...can you believe it? it is literally 5 minutes away. the only reason i keep putting it off is the 18 dollar admission. once the babe is here, i think we will do a family outing there! ;)